Friday, December 5, 2014

Meet our Friends & Vendors : Amy Stone, Birmingham Stylist and Calligrapher

Wow. Thanksgiving sort of came out of nowhere didn't it? 
How is it December already? 
We are hitting the ground running this month!

One of our favorite parts about living in Birmingham is the amazing vendors and friends we have met over the years. We love to talk about our friends (because they're amazing) and today is no exception! 

Meet Amy Stone... (isn't she adorable?!)


Amy is a stylist and calligrapher. And her work is just as stunning as she is! Please do yourself a favor and visit her website here.

From inspirational quotes to lovely watercolor prints and personalized wedding paper, she does it all. We sat down with Amy a few weeks ago after photographing her work and doing head shots to talk shop!

Enjoy this little interview and be sure to show Amy some love and take a peek at her .com! 

Amy, how long have you been lettering?

"I've been doing lettering work for a couple of years now. I started doodling in a notebook and then started researching and reading about calligraphy. It's so beautiful! I love real paper and writing letters to people, so calligraphy was a natural progression for me."

How did you get started? 

"It all started at the medieval fair in 6th grade... I'm joking...kind of. We had a medieval fair at school in 6th grade, and everyone had their own booth...there was butcher, a cobbler, etc. Mine was the calligraphy booth, ironically! 

No but really, I started doing calligraphy work a couple of years ago for fun--I love learning and exploring all kinds of creative outlets. I took a class (online, actually) and just fell in love with the work. I just recently started doing styling and calligraphy freelance work full time. It so rewarding and inspiring."

What inspires you? 

"You know, everything, really -- I truly believe inspiration is everywhere, the bottom of my cup of coffee, the climbing rose vine outside my apartment, literature, the way dirt smells after it has rained. But I think people are what inspire me most. I love learning from other people, watching other creative people work. Being a creative is a lifelong learning and growing process. Oh, and Gilmore Girls. I always have GG on while I'm working. "


What are you favorite things to write? 

"Fun fact, my least favorite thing to write is my name...I don't know why, it just never looks quite right. But my favorite things? I really love to write quotes--I am a fiction nerd. Or anything Amy Poehler has ever said. That woman is a genius."


Tell us some things about yourself that you want people to know! 

"I'm an organic calligrapher and stylist. My next creative endeavor is ceramics (wish me well on that one). I love red wine, good books...I'm the oldest of 4 girls and just recently married my husband Todd, the most patient and best man in the world (I may be biased). I love and believe in dreaming big! 

My favorite thing about my work is the people that are behind it and inspire it--and I love doing custom work and prints! :) "

"I feel there is nothing more inspiring than to love people." -Vincent van Gogh

We love Amy and know you will too!

Until next time,

Your girls at Spark & Arrow

No comments:

Post a Comment