Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Meet our Friends & Vendors: Malinda Kay Nichols

Three words... Gourmet. Chocolate. Bars.

Sounds classy & delectable, no?

And complicated? Absolutely not!


Our dear friend Malinda has outdone herself yet again & developed three simple candy bar recipes anyone can make. These are the perfect gifts for co-workers, teachers, neighbors & the like and take just a few minutes to whip up! Empress Stationery is also posting a free label download later this week!

Supplies:
Chocolate bar molds* (Malinda found hers here.)
*You can also use parchment paper placed in a small shallow baking pan
Good quality melting chocolate (Wilton, Candy Quick, Guittard)
Ingredients for each bar (See Recipes Below)
Parchment paper
Downloadable labels from Empress Stationery or festive scrapbook paper.

Steps:
1. Melt chocolate according to package directions.
2. Pour chocolate into molds; tap it a few times on the counter to let the chocolate settle and release any air bubbles.
3. Add your ingredients on top while the chocolate is still melted.
4. Pop molds into the freezer and let the chocolate harden completely.
5. After unmolding each bar (and if needed cutting them to size), wrap it first in a layer of parchment, then your label or scrapbook paper.

Each of these bars not only taste amazing but are also pretty to look at! A gourmet gift straight from your kitchen!


White Chocolate Hazelnut

You'll need:
White chocolate melts
Nutella (Microwaved for about 15 seconds and swirled in while still melted.)
Chopped hazelnuts 
Chocolate sprinkles

Follow instructions above.


Want a new spin on a tradition pumpkin pie? Why not make it into a candy bar?


Pumpkin Pie

You'll need:
Wilton Pumpkin Spice melts
Chocolate melts
Graham Crackers

1. Swirl melts together & pour into mold. 
2. Press Graham cracker on top


And lastly our favorite, Kitchen Sink! 


Kitchen Sink

You'll need:
Chocolate melts
Anything you have on hand, we used:
Golden Flake potato chips
Pretzels
Fresh coffee grounds
White chocolate and butterscotch baking chips
French gray sea salt

Follow instructions above.


There you go! Such a sweet, unique & thoughtful way to spread Christmas cheer this season!


As always we love for you to get to know the talent we work with. We asked Malinda a few questions in a mini interview:

How did you fall in love with crafting?

When I was little, while the other kids were playing outside or joining t-ball teams, I loved to sit in my room and play with construction paper, glue and popsicle sticks. I remember one time I put on something I called “Camp Craft” with my friends while our brothers were at Boy Scout Camp. I loved watching Martha Stewart’s Saturday morning show back in the 90s, and that opened up a whole new world of “making” to me. In 7th grade I started making my own clothes, and ultimately majored in fashion design in college. Being inspired and then translating that into something pretty is a really fun and cathartic process for me. I am definitely at my happiest when my fingers are covered in glue and glitter.

What inspires you?

My husband and I love to travel and have had been blessed to visit some pretty incredible places. A tiny hand-crafted bowl I bought in Istanbul 4 years ago inspired this year’s Christmas gifts for my daughter’s teachers; the hair accessories I saw on the women pouring out of a 800-year-old church in a little village in Ireland after a wedding inspired a line of headbands I made a few years ago.

I also have this perfect little girl named Evalyn June, and having her bound around our house has inspired me in so many ways. I love to color with her, make things for her, and dream up what her “big girl room” will look like! Life is definitely very pink these days, and I love it.

What’s next for you? 

I’ve been scheming with one of my best friends for quite some time about implementing “Birmingham Craft Night.” Pinterest has opened up a whole new world of creativity, but I think people get intimidated at the thought of implementing these ideas into their own lives. We want to bring Pinterest to the masses, do craft nights where we bring the supplies and the know-how to your group of friends, and walk you through step-by-step on how to create something, all while eating cupcakes, drinking some Prosecco, and hanging out with your girlfriends!

Thank you for sharing Malinda! Check out her website here!

Until next time! 

Your Spark & Arrow girls, Sarah & Kamin

(Recipe & Styling - Malinda Kay Nichols / Photography - Spark & Arrow / Labels - Empress Stationery)

No comments:

Post a Comment